Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Earl Grey Ice Cream


I loved the Earl Grey gelato I tried at Wagshal's last month and when I went to Wagshal's a week ago, they didn't have the flavor any more.  So here is my own version of Earl Grey ice cream and it is delicious!  I'm excited that I can make my own now.  My next flavor to try to make is a green tea ice cream.  Also I did notice that adding eggs in the ice cream for the custard gave it a creamy consistency and it was easier to scoop after storing in the freezer.  I suggest storing in the freezer for at least a few hours before serving, otherwise it will be more of a soft serve consistency.  Hope you make some ice cream for 4th of July this week.  Enjoy!

P.S.  If you were using google reader to follow me, you can now follow me on bloglovin.  

Earl Grey Ice Cream 

Ingredients
1 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup heavy cream
¾ cup sugar
5 earl grey tea bags
5 egg yolks


Directions

In a saucepan over medium heat, warm milk, half and half, heavy cream and sugar.

Remove from heat and place 5 tea bags in the saucepan.  Cover and allow to seep at room temperature for an hour.

Remove tea bags and rewarm the tea-infused milk. 

Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl.  Slowly add 1 cup warm milk to the egg yolks and continue whisking.

Pour egg mixture to the rest of the milk in the saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens to a custard and coats the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.

Cool the mixture in the fridge.

Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes about 1 quart of ice cream.