Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Simple Sausage Gravy


This Simple Sausage Gravy is so easy to make.  I have never made this type of gravy before but I've always known it was a "diner" classic.  I used a hot pork sausage which gives a nice kick to the gravy.  If you aren't into spicy, then use a mild or maple sausage instead.  This gravy goes great with my whole wheat biscuits.  Go bake up some whole wheat biscuits and make this simple sausage gravy and you won't be sorry!  I promise!


Simple Sausage Gravy

Ingredients
16 ounce package of hot pork sausage
¼ cup flour (I used whole wheat flour.)
2 ½ cups milk (I used low fat milk.)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions

In a dutch oven or large pan, over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned and no longer pink.


Stir in flour.

Slowly stir in milk.  Continue to stir and cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.  


Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.


Serve over your favorite biscuits.  (I served them over my whole wheat biscuits.)