Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Everything Oatmeal Cookies


It was my baby brother's birthday this month and he initially wanted me to make cake pops.  So of course I asked my sister-in-law what type of cake I should make but she suggested I make him cookies instead.  Apparently he had liked the oatmeal cookies that I made for my sister-in-law post-baby last month and had asked her to make him cookies recently.  She has no time to bake cookies with a new baby and suggested I do it for him instead haha.  Since I am such a great big sister, I made these Everything Oatmeal Cookies because I figured he likes almost everything!  I added dried cranberries, chocolate chips and walnuts in these oatmeal cookies.  I even included plain greek yogurt just because I have been including it in all my baked goods lately.  Overall I think these Everything Oatmeal Cookies were awesome.  I think my brother and sister-in-law both scarfed up these cookies quickly too LOL!  

Buddy wanted some cookies too...but I told him they were for his Uncle.  He looks a little disappointed, but I told him to wait until his 11th birthday next month!  Hopefully he will be feeling better by then, lately he hasn't been doing well on his thyroid meds so currently he is on a short trial without the meds to see if there's a change and we'll go from there...sigh...I clearly love my dogs :)

 
Everything Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients
½ cup or 1 stick butter, room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 ½ cup oats
½ cup walnuts, chopped


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy.  

Next, beat in egg, vanilla and yogurt.  


In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.


Slowly, stir flour mixture into butter mixture.


Next, stir in oats, dried cranberries, and walnuts.


Scoop cookies by teaspoon onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart.   (You can make them bigger but I preferred them to be bite-sized.)


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  



The cookies will be golden at the edges with a soft center.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.