Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Coconut Chia Pudding

-->
This Coconut Chia Pudding was surprisingly delicious!  The pudding requires no cooking which is awesome.  I also love the coconut flavors and if you like tapioca, then you will like chia seeds.  If you haven't heard already, chia seeds have been gaining popularity for its health benefits.  Chia seeds are in and flax seeds are out!  Haha!  But seriously chia seeds are really great for you.  Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fats, but I have read that you should only eat a small amount a day (max 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons) because chia seeds are very high in fiber, so large amounts can cause stomach upset.

What I love about chia seeds is that you don't have to do anything to them.  Once you put them in a liquid, they become gelatinous and are similar to tapioca.  Remember the chia pets?  The chia seeds are what grows the "hair" on the chia pets!  Crazy huh?  I used to always want a chia pet but I've actually had one, but I always see them in the stores.   They somehow always end up as gag holiday gifts right?  

Anyway if you haven't tried chia seeds, you should go out and buy some now.  I got mine at Trader Joe's, but you can get them at Whole Foods,  online at Amazon or probably any health food store.  Enjoy!


Coconut Chia Pudding

Ingredients
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup agave or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions

In a small bowl or container (I used a mason jar), combine all ingredients.  
 
Stir well.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours.  


Serve cold, enjoy!