Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Leftover Ham Soup


Yesterday felt like it should have been Friday already.  Earlier this week my dog Buddy may have had a mild seizure.  It was so crazy because he was asleep and then woke up all of a sudden.  He was shaking, couldn't stand or walk.  He was trying to come to me and kept falling so I just let him lean on me.  It was so scary to watch and I could tell he was scared too because he wouldn't let me leave him to even get my phone.  It only lasted about a minute and has never happened to him before.  I am not sure what is wrong yet because I am still waiting for his blood test results.  I hope it is nothing serious since he has been fine so far.  He's almost 11 and getting older but not too old yet!  Anyone have something like this happen to their dogs?  Here is Buddy with his favorite bed on top of his doggie couch of course. 


Now, onto this leftover ham soup recipe!  I was thinking of making a creamy potato and ham soup but I didn't have any milk or cream.   Does that happen to you?  When I really want to make something, I am usually missing an ingredient.  Basically I started with whatever I had on hand to create this soup.  You might notice in the ingredients photo I usually include in my posts that I don't even have all the ingredients pictured.  After tasting the soup, I had to add in the tomato paste to give it a deeper flavor and the rice to make it less salty.  Initially the soup tasted too much like ham but by the time it was done, the soup was delicious.  This soup is comforting and hearty.  What is also great is that it tastes even better the next day.  I've already had compliments from several coworkers who tried this soup.  Enjoy!

 
Leftover Ham Soup

Ingredients
2 cups cooked ham, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
2 cups potatoes, diced (1 large russet potato)
1 cup onions, diced
2 cups rice, cooked
3 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
3 cups water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt (optional – I omitted it since the ham was salty.)
2 tablespoons olive oil


Directions

In a dutch oven or heavy pot, over medium heat, add olive oil.  Add in onions and carrots.  Sauté for about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic, thyme, and black pepper.
Add potatoes and ham.

Pour in chicken broth and water.  Stir in tomato paste and parsley.

Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.  

Stir in cooked rice.  Cover and continue to simmer on low for additional 20 minutes.


Serves 8.