Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Bark


This is one of my favorite holiday desserts and I have made it every Christmas for the last few years.  I first got this recipe from a coworker who made it for our holiday work luncheons.  I had no idea that it was made out of crackers when I first tasted this Christmas Bark.  I ended up using saltines and leftover matzos.  You can feel free to top with nuts such as pecans, almonds, or walnuts.  I like topping with crushed candy canes to give the peppermint taste for the holidays.  FYI - I placed candy canes in a plastic bagged and crushed them with a hammer, easy!  You should definitely make this if you like toffee because that is what this Christmas Bark tastes like.  I can't stop eating this Christmas Bark but I better so that I can share with my family and friends.  Enjoy!

P.S. I finally added Disqus to my blog to make commenting easier, so feel free to leave comments :)

 
Christmas Bark

Ingredients
1 to 2 sleeves of saltine crackers (and/or matzos crackers)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
crushed candy canes (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line baking sheets (jelly roll pans with sides is best) with foil or parchment paper.  If using foil, spray lightly with non-stick spray.


Arrange crackers in one layer to completely cover baking sheet/pan.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.


Pour butter sugar mixture immediately over the crackers.

Bake for 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.  Let sit 5 minutes to allow chocolate to melt.  Spread melted chocolate with a spatula.


Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top of chocolate.  

Allow to cool to completely before breaking into pieces.  You may also refrigerate it to cool overnight. 

Store in airtight container.