Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Taco Bar


I had a pampered chef party last week and I created a taco bar for my guests.  You set out all the filings and toppings and everyone can build their own taco.   How easy is that?  I prepped all my toppings ahead of time so that I could just set them in bowls.  I also made the taco meat filling and rice earlier on the same day so that I only had to reheat it when it was ready to serve.  I used my own taco seasonings since I don't like using the prepackaged ones.  Sorry I didn't get pictures from the actual party since I was rushing but here's what my leftovers look like instead!  Overall the pampered chef party was a success.  I will have to share the recipes that were made during the cooking demo in another post soon because they were delicious and I can't wait to remake them!      

Taco Bar

Ingredients
1 package of flour tortillas (10 count)
1 package of taco shells (12 count)
For Meat Filling
1.5 to 2 pounds ground turkey
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup enchilada sauce (Optional - I used Trader Joe’s brand.)
For Rice
2 cups rice (jasmine or basmati)
15 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies (I used Rotel.)
2 to 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
Toppings
shredded cheese
tomatoes, diced
15 ounce can refried beans (heat on stovetop or microwave)
guacamole
romaine lettuce, sliced thin
salsa
taco sauce
sour cream
cilantro


Directions for Meat Filling
In a small bowl, mix together cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.

In a large pan or skillet, over medium heat, add ground turkey and seasonings.  Cook until no longer pink.  Stir in enchilada sauce if desired.

Directions for Rice
Combine all ingredients in a rice cooker and cook on normal rice setting. 

You can also make this on the stovetop.  Cook until liquid is absorbed by rice and is light and fluffy.  This usually takes less than 30 minutes.

Directions for Tacos
Warm tortillas and shells according to package directions.

Fill tacos with desired fillings – ground turkey, rice, and/or beans.  Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, taco sauce and/or lettuce.