Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Classic Green Bean Casserole


I really love green bean casserole for some reason; maybe it’s the crunchy fried onions or the cheese or both!  I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen's Green Bean Casserole recipe.   I saw the fried onion pieces from Trader Joe’s and used those instead of the usual French’s french fried onions.  I also used my homemade cream of mushroom soup, which is so much better than the canned condensed soup.   Overall this classic green bean casserole is perfect for a Thanksgiving side dish!


Classic Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients
2 cups green beans, sliced (from my local farmers’ market.)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup onion, diced (I used a yellow onion.)
½ cup mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini mushrooms.)
2 cups cream of mushroom soup (I used homemade soup.)
1 cup french fried onions (I used Trader Joe’s.)
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and Italian mix)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add green beans.  Boil for about 5 minutes and drain.


In a large pan, over medium heat, add butter and olive oil.  Add onions and mushrooms, sauté for about 5 minutes until softened and browned.  

Add in green beans to onions and mushrooms.


Stir in cream of mushroom soup.  Add in garlic, salt and pepper. 


Stir in ½ cup french fried onions.


Pour mixture into 8x8 inch baking dish.


Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese and remaining ½ cup French fried onions. 


Bake for additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.


Serves 6.