Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas


Luckily Hurricane Sandy didn't really affect me too much, I didn't lose any power and I was out of work for the last two days.  It gave me time to cook!  These chicken enchiladas are super easy to make.  I used shredded rotisserie chicken that I already had and my favorite enchilada sauce from Trader Joe's.  Instead of corn tortillas, I decided to use whole wheat tortillas.  This entire meal probably took me less than 45 minutes to put together (including prep work and cooking time).  These chicken enchilada are quick enough for a weeknight dinner.  Enjoy!


Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 ½ cups enchilada sauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
1 ounce cream cheese
½ cup pinto beans
½ cup diced peppers
½ cup diced onions
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend.)
4 whole-wheat tortillas (You may use corn tortillas.)
Optional Toppings
sliced green onions
guacamole
sour cream or plain greek yogurt


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pan, over medium heat, add butter and onions.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until onions are softened.  

Next, add peppers.  Cook for about 5 minutes until onions and peppers are golden.

Add in chicken and pinto beans.

Stir in ½ cup enchilada sauce and cream cheese.

Add in ½ cup shredded cheese.  Stir to combine.

Warm tortillas according to package directions.


In an 8x8 inch baking dish, pour ½ cup enchilada sauce to cover bottom of dish.

Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and top with some shredded cheese.  Roll tortilla tightly and place in baking dish.  Repeat.

Top the rolled tortillas with ½ cup enchilada sauce.  Sprinkle about ½ cup shredded cheese on top of the enchilada sauce.


Bake for about 20 minutes.   Serve with your favorite toppings if desired. 

Serves 4.