Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baba Ghanoush

You might ask what is baba ghanoush? It is a Mediterranean eggplant dip that is usually served as an appetizer and served with pita chips or flat breads.  I love eggplant and I bought one at the farmers last week originally to make eggplant parmesan, but I can always make that another time.  What is great about baba ghanoush is the roasted eggplant, and be sure to prick the eggplant or it might explode while baking!  I roasted my eggplant in the toaster oven also.  This is a basic baba ghanoush recipe and didn't take long to make at all.  I served it with the best flatbread by Aladdin Bakers that I discovered while in Brooklyn last weekend.  I think its only available in NY since its made in Brooklyn so I may have to ask my cousin to bring me back some when she comes home.  My cousin was nice enough to give me her flatbread to take home this weekend, thanks Cathy!




Baba Ghanoush

Ingredients
1 large eggplant
2 tablespoons tahini
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt 


Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Prick eggplant with a fork and place on a foil lined sheet pan.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.  The eggplant will turn black and shrivel. You can slice the eggplant in half and allow to bake after it has turned black. The inside of the eggplant will be soft and tender.  



Allow eggplant to cool.  Scrape out eggplant off the skin.  

Mash eggplant with a fork.  (You could also use a food processor for this part.)

Add in tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.  Mix well.



Serve at room temperature with pita chips, flatbread, chips, etc. 


The baba ghanoush can also be served cold.