Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tomato Pie


I have never made a tomato pie before but I have had one once and it was delicious.  I came across Paula Deen's tomato pie recipe from her food network show, Paula's Home Cooking.  I altered her recipe using what I had at home.  I would probably use shredded mozzarella cheese next time instead of the fresh bocconcini mozzarella, because it made the pie more watery.  You should make sure you drain the tomatoes really well too.  Paula's recipe also said to remove the skin from the tomatoes, but I just left them on since I don't mind it.  You could also caramelize the onions if you have time to do that.  I love the combination flavors of tomatoes and basil and each bite of pie was cheesy.  At first I was skeptical, but then I ate a second piece of pie!   Yup, it was that good.  Enjoy!


Tomato Pie

Ingredients
1 (9-inch) prebaked pie shell (I used a frozen pie shell.)
4 tomatoes, sliced
½ onion, diced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped  (8 to 10 leaves)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
½ pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (I used 2 bocconcini mozzarella balls.)
¾ cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman’s Light Mayonnaise.)
salt and pepper


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  I prebaked a frozen pie shell for 9 minutes.  (Follow directions on the package.)

Place tomato slices in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with some salt.  Allow liquids to drain for about 10 minutes.

 
In a small bowl, combine the shredded cheese and mayonnaise together.

 
Layer the tomatoes slices, onion, and basil in the prebaked pie shell.  Layer the mozzarella slices between the tomato layers.




Spread mayonnaise mixture on top of the tomatoes.  Sprinkle with some black pepper and salt if desired.



Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

 
Best serve warm and cut into slices.  



 The pie got more watery due to the fresh mozzarella cheese ... oops, but it still tasted good!

 My second slice of pie ... as you can see, I used the same plate from my first slice :)