Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Caprese Salad


This caprese salad reminds me of my trip to Italy last year.  I love this salad since it is quick and easy to put together.  Also, fresh ingredients are important for this salad.  Caprese salad is a great summer salad, perfect as a starter or as a side dish.  This would also make a great light main dish, especially during warm weather.  I used tomatoes still on the vine, basil leaves from my basil plant, and fresh bocconcini mozzarella cheese.  Bocconcini mozzarella are smaller egg-sized mozzarella balls.  In addition, I used balsamic vinegar to drizzle over the salad , but I think traditional caprese salad is only with olive oil.  Feel free to omit the balsamic vinegar if you aren't a fan but I personally think it tastes better with it.  Hope you enjoy a caprese salad this summer, buon appetito!



Caprese Salad

Ingredients
2 tomatoes, sliced
½ pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
olive oil, extra virgin
balsamic vinegar (optional)
salt
freshly ground black pepper



Directions

Layer tomato slices, mozzarella cheese slices, and basil leaves. (I did 2 layers.)



Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  (May use only olive oil if preferred.)


Season with salt and pepper.


Serve as a starter dish, side dish, or main vegetarian dish.