Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken


This slow cooker honey sesame chicken dish is amazing and so easy to make!  I loved it so much that I am actually looking forward to eating leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  I have seen this recipe all over various food blogs, but naturally I changed some of it to my taste and to what I already had.  I used organic bone-in skinless chicken thighs, but you can use boneless or even use chicken breasts instead.  I also included sesame oil and ginger in my recipe unlike some of the others I have seen.  I didn't have cornstarch to thicken the sauce so I substituted flour instead.  Overall, this was a great dish and I will definitely be making this on a regular basis. 

Here are some of the recipes I found on other food blogs:  A Cook's Quest, Chef in Training, Eat Drink Love, Prevention RD, Six Sisters' Stuff, Table for Two, and Very Culinary.



Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

1 pound skinless chicken thighs, 4 pieces
½ cup honey
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons onion, diced
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon flour (You may use cornstarch instead.)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, roasted
salt
pepper

 
Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper and place into slow cooker.

 
In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and ginger.

 
Pour honey mixture over chicken.

 
Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or on high for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours, until chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken from the slow cooker.

 
Whisk 1 tablespoon flour into the sauce in the slow cooker to thicken sauce.  Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.

  
While the sauce is thickening, cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. 

Add chicken back to the sauce and stir to coat chicken with sauce.

 
Serve over rice. Sprinkle sesame seeds over chicken.


Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!