Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Whipped Cream Topping


Who doesn't love freshly whipped cream?  It dresses up most desserts and is such a versatile topping for so many foods and drinks.  I love it on top of pies, fruit, ice cream, hot cocoa, and coffee drinks!  I just made whipped cream topping for a key lime pie, doesn't it look delicious?  I wish I could eat a slice right now but I am taking it to a dinner party tonight and it probably wouldn't be a good idea if there was a slice missing...right?


 
Ingredients
2 cups heavy whipping cream (keep cold)
¼ cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 
Directions

In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.  Slowly add in sugar and vanilla.  This could take about 10 minutes.  Be sure not to overbeat, or it will start getting lumpy like butter and not creamy.  




You can also make the whipped cream by hand with a wire whisk; it’ll just take some arm strength and may take you a little longer!

To make the whipped cream topping on the pie decorative, I used Wilton’s disposable decorating bag with a star tip.  Wilton’s website tells you how to do the star technique here - http://www.wilton.com/technique/Star.






(Hint:  I put my large glass mixing bowl and beater attachments (or whisk) in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes to keep the whipping cream extra cold.)