Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mushroom Risotto


I have finally made risotto!  I have been wanting to make risotto ever since I got back from Italy last fall.  This is my first attempt and it turned out pretty well.  I researched several recipes online and I came up with this one based on the ingredients I had already.  I wanted to keep it simple so it won't be too hard to mess up.  The main thing you need to remember to do is stir constantly!  Also, slowly adding the warm stock to the rice and letting it absorb is what will make the risotto creamy.  I guarantee that if you follow those few tips, you will make a very delicious risotto!


Ingredients

1 cup arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups mushrooms, chopped (I used button mushrooms.)
1/2 onion, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt
ground black pepper


Directions

In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring chicken stock to a simmer and keep warm.


In a separate pan, over medium high heat, add butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Sauté onions until they get soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.  Next, add in garlic and mushrooms, sauté for 2-3 minutes.  Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and the rice.  Stir to combine.  Cook for about 1-2 minutes. 



Add simmering stock, ½ cup at a time.  Continue stirring often.  When the stock is almost absorbed, add in the next ½ cup stock.   This will take about 20-25 minutes.  The rice should be cooked and still slightly chewy, so the rice is soft but still has a bite to it. 


 
Stir in the parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.



Serves 4.  This could be a great side dish or a main dish with a salad (which is what I did!)



Here is an update on Buddy since he had sutures last week on his neck from a surgical removal of a growth.  He kept scratching at his sutures so I tried the “cone of shame” and he HATED it.   Doesn’t he look sad with it on?   So next I tried tying a bandana around his neck and it worked!   Hopefully this will last for another week until he gets his sutures removed.