Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Butter Chicken


My best friend Sarah has shared this butter chicken recipe with me a long time ago and I haven't been able to make it since I could never find the Indian spices at the grocery stores around me.   I'm finally going to try to make it since Sarah got me the spices at the Indian store near her.  This butter chicken is amazing, and it smells so good when cooking.  It is a little bit spicy, but has just enough kick that it's not overpowering.  You can always add more or less spices to adjust to your taste.  I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do, thanks for sharing Sarah!

   
Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, divided (equals to 1 ½ sticks)
1/2 onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounce can tomato sauce (equals to 1 cup)
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons tandoori masala


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir in minced onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes. 



Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala.  Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then stir in caramelized onions. 


While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil and tandoori masala until coated.  Spread out onto a baking sheet. 





Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 to 15 minutes.  Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before serving. 




This is great served over plain, white rice. I always have rice available, its a staple in a Chinese kitchen :)



Serves 4-6.  FYI,  the sauce is so good, I could just eat it alone with rice ;)

I couldn't resist posting this picture of Ellie.  She tends to follow me around and she fell asleep in the dining room, which is right next to the kitchen.  How cute is she?